In our business, green is not good. Although we say Mold Happens, not many people are thrilled to be scraping it off their favorite cheddar chunk. But this is a good time to try green – Green living, that is. It’s easy to make a few changes to save the earth. And while you’re at it, save a bundle of money too. Now that’s green that everyone can appreciate. These are some of our favorite tips for summer savings:
- Turn the AC up. Air conditioning costs can eat up your savings. Turn your thermostat up a few degrees to save several hundred dollars a year. Use ceiling fans to keep the air circulating.
- Use less water. Take shorter showers, don’t over water your grass, turn the faucet off while you brush your teeth. Check out your water bill for more saving ideas.
- Use less gas. Walk the short trips, plan your errands around location, carpool when possible.
- Reduce mowing time. Gas-powered lawn mowers and trimmers are major polluters.
- Use washable dinnerware. Forget the disposable paper products for everyday use. No need to destroy trees to save a few minutes of dishwashing.
- Purchase certified sustainable wood furniture.
- Recycle more. Find a recycling center close to you, or sign up for service. Most household paper, plastics, aluminum, and glass is salvageable. Set up a spot in your home, and it will become a habit in no time.
Saving the environment and family dollars is a good exercise for the whole family. Let kids pick their favorite tip to manage. And don’t forget to set a good example. You’ll teach them the value of being part of the solution, not the problem.